Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day 2012

Well, I guess since I did a Mother's Day blog, I should do a Father's Day blog, also.  Don't you think?

And since I started with my Grandma (my father's mother), I should start this one with my Grandpa.  Who, by the way I really don't remember because he was not around when I was growing up.  You see, he was a police officer and actually was killed  while on duty.  So he really was not in my life.   And I'm so sorry that I never knew him.

So the next father would be my actual father, Ralph Andrew Peters.  He played first trumpet for Sammy Kaye, so he wasn't around very much, either, because in those days the bands went from town to town for play their music.  One of the things I remember the most is that as he went from town to town he kept a very small notepad, listing his expenses day by day, such as hotel fee, food, etc.  And I still have that little notepad.  His name is on quite a few record albums, as he played background for a number of stars, such as
Peggy Lee.  And since he traveled so much, and my biological mother was not in the picture, his brother Uncle Pete and his wife, Aunt Rose, took us to raise.

So now we have Uncle Pete who became our father, so to speak.  What a wonderful man he was, and I miss him terribly.,  He was so kind and gentle and soft spoken (so much like my Art), that even a new kitten took to him even though he didn't like cats.  And Miss Kitty, our cat forever it seems, loved Uncle Pete as much as we did.  LOL  I still see him sitting in the living room trying to read the newspaper, and Miss Kitty always was on his lap.  Another thing I remember distinctly is that when I was a senior in high school, I took a lot of extra credit courses, one of them being bookkeeping.   And, as a senior who would end her days in class earlier than the other students, had to take her finals earlier, also.  Now Uncle Pete worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad as a comptroller, and he sat at the dining room table with me helping me with my bookkeeping.  I still see those evenings in my mind's eye.  He was such a great friend and teacher.

I guess the next in line would be my brother, Mike.  He was our baby brother, and just the cutest thing when he was little.  I remember him in church one Sunday (wearing a light turquoise two piece little outfit), standing in front of the altar, singing Jesus Loves Me.  And he sang it over and over and over.... until someone actually had to go up and bring him back to his seat.  And, of course, everyone just loved it.  But then he grew up, LOL, and that really cute baby brother was gone.  Eventually he married Edith, his wife of many years now, and they had two children, a boy and a girl, who are both married themselves now and have their own families.

And, I guess, the next Father in my life would be my son, James Allen.  His wife Beth is a wonderful daughter-in-law and they have a son named Joshua, who is 16.  And I want you to know that James is a fabulous father and I am so proud of him.  He moved just around the corner from me (7 minutes away) after being out of my life for 31 years.  (Now that's a different story for a different time.)  But I am so happy that we reconnected after all those years and especially since he's so close, and I can just stop by and see him whenever I want.  How wonderful.!


And that's all the fathers in my family that I can think of.  Of course, I have two son-in-laws that are fabulous fathers, also, but this is about the blood fathers in my family.,  Maybe I'll write about them sometime in the future and their names are Jim and Jack. 

So for all the Fathers in my family.  I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day yesterday!  Keep up the good work and continue raising your families with love and patience!!!

No recipe or card this week, since this blog is so long.  Have a great week, and I'll see you next weekend.

Hugs,
Lynn

No comments: